Sunday, August 2, 2009

THEY CALL IT "C.R.I.C.K.E.T"

Writing is a lot like sex! At first u might do it coz u jus feel like it, but for u to do it again, others must also like it:).And some are so good at it, that they might even end up doing it for money!! (I meant the writing part, seriously). Ok, What I’m really trying to say here is I’m writing another blog n u gotta put up with it coz a few people, apart from me, liked my previous blog (or at least that’s what they told me).N I’m writing about something that’s occupied most of my free time (technically it would be the time I’m not sleeping): CRICKET!

Now, my 70 year old neighbor has been the travel agent for my guilt trips. He instigated a serious thought when he asked “now at this age why do you still play cricket? “. Not that I take him seriously (at his age nobody does anyway).If he had followed even half the advice he’s given me he would have landed at the Whitehouse longtime back. But still his question was nagging me. Now, my age was not my botheration. I know a guy, who is so old that when he orders a 2 mins noodles they ask for payment up front, n he still plays cricket!! But still that question as to “why” we play has been nagging my mind.


We ve played almost everywhere. Starting from street, ground, terrace, garage, house, corridor, night cricket, rain cricket …. I think it covers almost all possibilities. But I’ve never considered this question “Why?” .Why do we still play can be a difficult question to answer… See, why do people fall in love? Why do guys start smoking? Why do people wear tight jeans even though they have flabby thighs covered by their stomach? Why do some people wear those ridiculous sun glasses even if they can’t tell the difference between their neighbor and his wife with the glasses on?....

Ill tell u the reason: Coz they all wanna feel heroic! They all want that micro mini moment that shrinks the world in front of them and makes them HUGE. And I think cricket is the institution that gives us the space to be heroic.

We can't all be heroes’ coz someone's gotta sit on the curb and clap as they go by.
But still we need something that gives us the chance to feel heroic. Aren’t we all something bigger in our mind and in our own little world while playing? Isn’t mani the Dhoni when he sets the field? Isn’t Ashwin the Allan Donald when he used to open the bowling? (U should have seen his run up; I don’t go that far even on a holiday!). Isn’t Bala the Yuvraj when he plays that flick? Isn’t srinivas the Shane warne when he bowls? (Now, the other main advantage I can see when he’s bowling is that he is not fielding!!). Isn’t Gundan the Sewag when he hits them miles? …. Yes we are all the heroes here!!
Even a little dog can piss on a big building:).

Conclusion is a place where you get tired of thinking:

Yes I know, for some my reasoning might seem idiotic, illogical & stupid.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody’s got one, n you can’t help it! I’m not trying to give justification here for wasting our time. All that I’m trying to say is that we are NOT wasting time! Coz my opinion is (forget that asshole part for a sec) that the time enjoyed wasting is no wasted time at all. And it’s all simple. The mind of us, the useless gully cricketers, starts with an H and ends with an T, listening with an EAR in-between while playing “C.R.I.C.K.E.T

11 comments:

  1. Only two issues i agree upon in this post -
    1) Don't let any washed up has-been s tell you what you should and should nt do
    2) Any space of time is enjoy is not wasted time at all, hey we all ultimately in the pursuit of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one more thing ..

    I d still like to go on commenting coz like ass holes, sometimes you can have a helluva time with them...

    Actually two more things..
    When play cricket, i think that you should rather play for the joy it gives you than for other s watching you... But in any case do keep playing

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gully cricket is the place where even i m ever praised (hitting 1 ball 11 to take us to victory)...... Terrace cricket is the only place whr ppl like dubba can hit sixes..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome blog dude...... think of the days where v played at 12 noon and 12 midnyt...... More than a game its our breath......

    ReplyDelete
  5. cricket is emotional fa those who have been in a team.. and ur blog talks fa every such single person!!! gr8 work dude..

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am speechless da. i knew u were damn good in ur cricket, i am now seeing how exceptional are u in ur narrative and writing skills. kd's writing at its ethereal best.GOD level.

    PS:but thopa eh laam shane warne nu ethivittiye da,my only disagreement in ur entire post lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done once again.. I've been there in the team for a while.. So, even I get the privilege of knowing who is who on this post.. Comparing Gundan with Shewag was the best I must say :P

    You should have uploaded Srini's Pic and I wish Shane warne gets to have a look at this blog!!

    You'd have been reported as Abusive for sure :P Way to go deepak.. I guess there is a lot more yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grt blog da!! s surely half of our life time wud be filled wit cric... Be it watchin or playing.. If dere was no cric, well we can be a 10 yr old kid as of now......

    Macha..I can realise wit d addiction ur having towards cric, how much u wud ve got tensed when I used to drop catches

    ReplyDelete
  9. u always wish to go back to home after win, n pls do remember that it was only bcoz of our team members esp.. Ash n bharath...that wish was fulfilled…
    Not by cricketing talent nd all but by d way they can dissolve d match when v can smell the match goes out of our hand……

    Note: Ash nd all compared to donald konjam over dhaan….
    cycle gap la oru fucker 1 ball 11 to win player nu solludu.. Avan comment ah abuse koduthudu da!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. macha i had missed an important point....
    gully cricket ellana, SRM oda win panadhukulam namma ASHES tour nu per veika mudiyuma ella nee dan VICTORY nu 10rs note a thooki kata mudiyuma.........

    ReplyDelete
  11. siply superb da mahan...why don try ouy ur hand in writin...mre n mre...(i mean blogs)

    ReplyDelete